- 6 eggs
- 1 lb. real mascarpone cheese
- 36 Savoiardi (lady fingers)
- 2-1/2 cups strong Italian coffee
- 1/2 cup dry Marsala wine
- 13 Tbsp. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. un-sweetened cocoa
24 hours (refrigerating)
24 hours and 25 minutes
- In a large bowl use an electric hand mixer to beat the egg yolks together with the sugar until fluffy.
- Add the mascarpone cheese and mix it in with a spoon until well combined.
- Now whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form and then fold them gently into the mascarpone mixture using a spoon. Fold it in by gently lifting the mascarpone mixture from the bottom to the top.
- Add the cocoa to 1/3 of the mascarpone mixture and mix well.
- Spread half of the remaining mascarpone mixture without cocoa onto the bottom of the cake dish (My dish is 11-3/4" x 8-3/4" and 2-1/2" deep).
- Quickly dip both sides of the lady fingers into the espresso coffee and place them over the mascarpone cream.
- Cover this layer with all the chocolate mascarpone cream.
- Add the Marsala wine to the rest of the coffee and dip the ladyfingers into it. Place them over the mascarpone chocolate cream and top with the remaining mascarpone cream.
- Sprinkle the top with cocoa powder through a fine mesh strainer.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours.