Frittelle di mele (Apple frittelle)
- 2.2 lbs. apples (1 kilo)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups + 2 1/2 Tbsp. flour
- 4 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tsp. Rum
- 4 Tbsp. Milk
- grated zest from two lemons
- powder sugar to sprinkle
- oil to fry
- Peel the apples, shred them and set them aside.
- In another bowl the beat eggs, add the sugar and the flour. Mix until well combined then add the Rum, the milk and the grated lemon zest.
- Add the apples and mix until well incorporated.
- In a small nonstick pan warm up the oil, being careful not burn it.
- When the oil reaches a hot temperature you can start adding the frittelle. Shape them in a ball using two spoons and then drop them gently into the oil. They'll start to swell and to become golden. Fry both sides evenly.
- Cover a dish with paper towel and when the frittelle are ready place them on the paper towel to remove the excess oil and sprinkle them with powder sugar.
- Serve them hot or you can also prepare them two hours in advance and serve them later.